Mechanical Aerospace Engineer | Systems Integration | Project Engineering | Project Management
Experienced mechanical aerospace engineer with a combined 10+ years of dedication and proven ability in project engineering, prototype design/development, systems integration, quality assurance, and manufacturing methodologies. Throughout my various positions and projects in Aerospace and Energy industry, I always had pleasure forming trust-based relationships, solving complex customer problems, and leading teams to achieve challenging goals. My guiding principles are simple: work hard, lead by example and deliver a positive impact on every professional and personal engagement.
Gas Turbine Applications Engineer (Systems Integrator)
MDS Aero Support Corporation | Ottawa (ON), Canada | December 2013 — Present
- Develop and deploy engine test facilities and test systems for aviation and industrial Gas Turbines with emphasis on Instrumentation and Software integration.
- A few projects I worked on:
- Maintenance, Repair, and Overhaul (MRO) facilities:
- Air France Industries KLM Engineering & Maintenance (France) – CFM56, GE90, GP7200, GEnx
- GKN Aerospace (Sweden) – Volvo RM12 (Gripen fighter jet)
- Vector Aerospace (Canada) – P&WC JT15D (multiple variants)
- Lockheed Martin Commercial Engine Solutions (Canada) – CFM56 (multiple variants)
- Safran Aircraft Engine Services Morocco (Morocco) – CFM56 (multiple variants)
- Research and Development (R&D) facilities:
- Rolls-Royce/ NASA Stennis Space Center (USA) – Outdoor Jet Engine Test Facility (development and certification testing)
- Safran Aircraft Engines (formerly Snecma) (France) – CFM LEAP (certification testing), CFM56 (endurance testing)
- MAN Energy Solutions (Germany) – Industrial Gas Turbine MGT6000-2S, MG8000-1S
- MDS AeroTest/ GLACIER Test Facility (Canada) – Emissions system support
- AVIC Commercial Aircraft Engines (ACAE) / Aeroengine Corporation of China (AECC) (China) – Fan, Booster, HPC, and Turbine (development testing)
- Maintenance, Repair, and Overhaul (MRO) facilities:
- Define the relevant engine and facility parameters to be measured and calculated by the Data Acquisition System (DAS) for engine turbine testing.
- Configure Data Acquisition System (DAS), prepare post-analysis report templates, create real-time display pages, and automate test sequences to meet customer needs.
- Design the customer’s operations consoles and the integration of HMI to control and monitor the DAS and facility equipment.
- Support customer’s operations of engine testing during and beyond the commissioning phase (Field Service Representative) for extended periods (6+ months).
- Prepare and review technical documents: Engineering Specifications (ES), Design Briefs (DB), drawings (GA), Purchase Requests (PR), and Engineering Coordination Memos (ECM) for data acquisition software components, control/test systems, console design, and customer support.
- Write and run in-house and on-site Acceptance Test Procedures (ATP) to validate deliverables comply with contract technical and commercial requirements.
- Participate in on-site installation and commissioning of the Data Acquisition System (DAS), including performing on-site Acceptance Test Procedures (ATP) with clients.
- Use knowledge gained in the test cell environment to guide other engineering departments in the interpretation of customer requirements, and the design solutions required to meet those needs.
- Provide on-site and remote customer training in collaboration with Customer Service.
Combustion & Pollutant Emissions Engineer - Aerothermal (intern)
Siemens Canada (formerly Rolls-Royce Canada), Research and Technology | Montreal (QC), Canada | January 2013 — August 2013
- Operated pollutants measurements with gas analyzers - FTIR/FID/O2 CEMS (Continuous Emission Monitoring Systems) - on Gas Turbine testbeds.
- Improved emissions data processing and analysis of non-conventional pollutants emissions.
- Evaluated the combustion performance of liquid (biodiesel blends) and gaseous (syngas blends) biofuels in terms of smoke & emissions and lean blow out.
- Characterized promising liquid and gaseous novel biofuels for use in industrial Gas Turbines to reduce greenhouse gases and potentially operation costs.
- Developed a robust numerical model for biofuels injection and combustion prediction (CFD).
- Compared biofuels with baseline fuels to examine the benefits while maintaining an acceptable overall combustion performance.
Research & Teaching Assistant with Dr. Alain De Champlain
Combustion Research Laboratory at Laval University | Quebec City (QC), Canada | January 2011 — December 2012
- Developed biofuels (liquid & gaseous) applications for Gas Turbine and aircraft propulsion.
- Operated combustion gas emissions monitoring of swirl combustor via FTIR (Fourier Transformation Infrared) – spectroscopy technology.
- Executed experimental tests of spray using PIV (Particle Image Velocimetry).
- Computed fluid dynamics prediction (CFD) of biodiesel spray including swirler configurations with emphasis on penetration depth, droplet size, velocity and spreading.
- Designed and assembled experimental apparatus, conducted experiments, trained, and supervised international summer interns.
- Hands on work like soldering electrical circuits, wiring instruments, and assembling process equipment (mass flow controllers, piping, pumps, pressure chambers, heaters, valves, injectors, and heat exchangers).
- Deployed Data Acquisition System (DAS), calibrated instrumentation, performed tests, and troubleshot problems.
- Compiled VBA program to collate and analyze a large volume of experimental data.
- Critically analyzed data after tests and correlated it with empirical evidence.
- Optimized the testing process to enhance data collection and established a benchmark for quantifying test results.
- Authored comprehensive technical reports to document test protocol, safety procedures, equipment laboratory, and findings.
- Successfully completed WHMIS and WORKSMART health and safety training programs.
- Prepared MAE Thermodynamics lectures, showed demonstrations of experiential exercises, supervised laboratory lectures, and evaluated laboratory reports.
Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering with Dr. Razvan Rusovici
Florida Institute of Technology | Melbourne (FL), USA | January 2010 — June 2010
- Developed adaptive structures research and finite element analysis in fluid dynamics and acoustic via CAD and CAE software (Pro/E, ANSYS, and CFX).
Formula SAE Series with Stephanie Hopper and Dr. Youngsik Choi
Florida Tech Motorsports (FIT) | Melbourne (FL) & Michigan International Speedway (MI), USA | November 2008 — May 2009
- Supervised the powertrain division, dealing with engine management, differential, simulation, testing and optimization via CAD and CAE software (SolidWorks, Cosmos Design, and ANSYS).
- Designed and fabricated the composite bodywork.
- Created the Florida Tech Motorsports website.
Service Engineer (intern)
Prestige Dentaire | Nice, France | June — July 2006
- Executed maintenance of dental equipment.
- Overhauled mechanical, plumbing, and electrical devices.
Military Experience (volunteer): Sar El Program
Tsahal, Israeli Army Training Program | Hatzerim Air Force Base, Israel | July — August 2005
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Industry Knowledge: System Integration, Systems Engineering, Project Engineering, Project Management, Aerospace Engineering , Business Strategy, Testing and Simulations
Domain Expertise: Turbomachinery, Gas Turbines/ Jet Engines/Propulsion, Data Acquisition Systems, Aerodynamics, Thermodynamics, Combustion, Fluid Dynamics
- Tools & Technologies
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD): ANSYS FLUENT, CFX, ANSYS ICEM CFD (Mesh Generation), GAMBIT.
- Solid Modeling (CAD)/ Finite Element Analysis (FEA): AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Pro/ENGINEER & Creo, CATIA, ANSYS Workbench Platform, ANSYS Parametric Design Language (APDL), Cosmos Design, Solid Concepts, CNC Software/Mastercam.
- Data Acquisition (DAQ): NI LabVIEW, proDAS (MDS Aero Support Corp), LaVision FlowMaster (PIV).
- Development Tools: Matlab, Java, MS Excel/VBA, SQL, HTML Programming, LaTex, Mediawiki, Wi-Fi security and pentesting (Kali Linux).
- Computer Skills: Microsoft Office, NetBeans, MATLAB, Mathcad, Maple, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop/ Lightroom, Adobe Premiere Pro, VMWare (Virtualization), Linux.
Interpersonal Skills: Problem Solving, Team Leadership, Engineering Management, Training, Teaching, Negotiation
- Languages: English (Bilingual), French (Native), Spanish (Limited working), Italian (Elementary), Hebrew (Elementary)
Master of Science (M.S.), Mechanical Engineering with Experimental Thesis. (ABD) | December 2013 | Quebec City (QC), Canada
- Research Assistant (Combustion Laboratory).
- Teaching Assistant (MAE Thermodynamics).
- Laser Safety Certificate & WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System) qualified.
- Relevant courses completed:
- Combustion Fundamentals (+CFD)
- Internal Combustion Engines (+CFD)
- Propulsion/ Air-breathing Engines (+CFD)
- Data Acquisition and Signal Conditioning
- Systems Optimization
- Control Systems
Summer Program, Mechanical Engineering | Summer 2012 | Ottawa (ON), Canada
- Experimental tests of spray using PIV (Particle Image Velocimetry) and PDPA (Phase Doppler Particle Analyzer).
Florida Institute of Technology
Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering (transfer student) | May 2010 | Melbourne (FL), USA
- Formula SAE member. Powertrain Division and Bodywork designer.
- Relevant courses completed:
- Computer-Aided Engineering
- Aerodynamics and Flight Mechanics
- Design of Machine Elements
- Mechanical Vibrations
- Fluid Mechanics (+Lab)
- Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Mechanical Engineering Design 2
- Thermal Systems Design
- Thermodynamics 2
- Heat Transfer (+Lab)
- Control Systems
- Electric & Electronics Circuits
- Theory of Machines
- Materials Science and Engineering (+Lab)
- Calculus 3
- Boundary Value Problems
- Technical Communication
- Engineering Economy & Planning
- Music Theory
SKEMA Business School (formerly Euro-American Institute of Technology)
Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering (transfer student) | January 2007 | Sophia Antipolis, France
- Relevant courses completed:
- Thermodynamics 1
- Statics & Dynamics
- Deformable Solids
- Physics 2 (+Lab)
- Computer Aided Design and Drafting
- Software Development: Java & C++
- General Chemistry
Florida Institute of Technology and SKEMA Business School were part of a dual-degree program, and thus share a common graduation project.
Lycée Général et Technologique Les Eucalyptus
High school, Baccalauréat Science Stream (S) | June 2004 |Nice, France
- Specialization Physics & Chemistry, Option Engineering Sciences.
PUBLICATIONS / CONFERENCE PAPERS
J. Agou, B. Paquet & A. deChamplain. “Emission Measurements of Various Biofuels using a Commercial Swirl-Type Air-Assist Dual Fuel Injector” (with presentation), The Combustion Institute Canadian Section (CICS), Spring Technical Meeting, Université Laval, Quebec Canada, May 13-16, 2013
M. Youssef, J. Agou, B. Paquet & A. deChamplain. “Comparative Study for Biodiesel Properties and Standards for Gas Turbine” (with presentation), The Combustion Institute Canadian Section (CICS), Spring Technical Meeting, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada May 13-16, 2012
CERTIFICATIONS & TRAININGS
- Aerial Lifts & Aerial Work Platforms, Worksite Safety Compliance Center, Certificate 156AWP-64
- Airport Security Awareness Training Certificate, Butterfly Aero Training, License GB81580A20140623
- Elevated Work Platform - Safety Training, CRS Contractors Rental Supply
- Emergency First Aid – Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and automated external defibrillator (AED), Canadian Red Cross, Jennifer Sybrandy, Certificate 30200842
- AODA Customer Service Training, MDS Aero Support Corporation
- Fall Protection - Safety Training, CRS Contractors Rental Supply
- Instant HR - Workplace Hazards Training, MDS Aero Support Corporation
- Laser Safety Certificate, Université Laval, License CAN/CSA E-60825-1:03; IEC 60825-1
- Lockout/Tagout - Control of Hazardous Energy Training, MDS Aero Support Corporation
- NEXUS, Canada Border Services Agency
- Occupational Health and Safety Awareness Training for Workers in Ontario, MDS Aero Support Corporation
- WHMIS Training, MDS Aero Support Corporation
- WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System), Université Laval
- Working at Heights Training, Safety Training Ottawa, Debbie Desaulniers
Engineering & Science Student Design Showcase
April 2009 Melbourne, FL
- Best Mechanical Engineering Senior Design Project award with Formula SAE Project (Florida Tech Motorsports).
GROUPS & ASSOCIATIONS
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), Member #102114839
- Society of Automotive Engineers International (SAE), Member since 2009
- Professional Engineers and Geoscientists Newfoundland & Labrador (PEGNL)
Soccer, Karate (purple belt), Windsurfing (purple sail), Wakeboarding, Cycling, Skiing.
Cinema, Music (DJ), Photography & Graphic Design, Traveling, High-Tech, Innovation.
John Perrin Manager of nxDAS group MDS Aero Support Corporation, Suite 200, 1220 Old Innes Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V3, Canada Phone: +1 (613) 744-5794 x2358 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Qing Li Software Specialist, Manager of Applications group MDS Aero Support Corporation, Suite 200, 1220 Old Innes Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V3, Canada Phone: +1 (613) 744-5794 x2284 E-mail: email@example.com Christian Bourgeois Director of Measurement Engineering MDS Aero Support Corporation, Suite 200, 1220 Old Innes Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1B 3V3, Canada Phone: +1 (613) 744-5794 x2233 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Dr. Alain de Champlain Director & Professor, Head of Combustion Research Laboratory. Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Laval University, 1065 Avenue de la Médecine, Quebec City, Quebec, G1V 0A6, Canada Phone: +1 (438) 656-2131 x2198 E-mail: email@example.com Bernard Paquet Research Engineer, Supervisor of Combustion Research Laboratory. Department of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Laval University, 1065 Avenue de la Médecine, Quebec City, Quebec, G1V 0A6, Canada Phone: +1 (438) 656-2131 x6809 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Dr. Robert Gordon Combustion Specialist, Team Leader of Research & Technology division. Rolls-Royce Canada, 9500 Côte de Liesse, Montreal, Quebec, H8T 1A2, Canada Phone: +1 (514) 636-0964 x7316 E-mail: email@example.com Dr. Yan Grasselli Academic Head of Bachelor programs and Head of the Environmental and Marine Sciences Bachelor department. SKEMA Business School, 60 rue Dostoïevski, 06902 Sophia Antipolis, France Phone: +33 (0) 4 93 95 44 03 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Personal references available upon request.
online version available on LinkedIn https://linkedin.com/in/joachimagou/
updated February 2019 Joachim Agou